This project started out with the carpet coming loose from the original treads and our house had 2 slips which could have turned out much worse. Since the old carpet was fairly worn and had 2 stains on it (pretty major ones) I decided I would remove the carpet and make them wood.
Carpet removed and I could see that simply laying laminate over or doing a cap-a-tread wasn’t going to work. Under the blue padding it was not what I had hoped for in a few ways. With more than a half inch on either side and the particleboard chipping profusely the decision was made to do full treads.
I could not find the exact color I wanted so I used pre-bullnosed treads and stained them myself. I love the way they came out.
All totaled for the work it took about 3 working days to finish. That said, the time does not include the finishing of the wood. That took about 2 weeks of off and on finishing and sanding.
Since we now have my fathers dog we had to put carpet runners on. This turned out best for us and the dog getting good traction going up and down them.
I am happy to have another project done.
Feeling pretty handy,